How To Make Perfect Sweet Short Crust Pastry From Scratch
Sweet short crust pastry is the easiest thing in the world to make. It shocks me when TV celebrity chefs recommend people use shop bought short crust pastry it takes literally minutes to make and costs hardly anything.
I make all my pastry from scratch as it really is so easy and tastes so much better than shop bought readymade. The best thing about making from scratch is I know exactly what goes into what I am eating, and I use the best ingredients I can get which really does reflect in the end result!
- 225g/8oz plain flour (preferably organic)
- ½ level teaspoon of salt
- 125g/50z butter
- 1 egg-yolk (preferably free range)
- 25g/1oz castor sugar
- 3 teaspoons water
- Mix the flour and salt in a bowl
- Rub in the butter until the mixture is like fine breadcrumbs
- Mix together the egg-yolk, sugar and water
- Mix to a firm dough with egg-mixture. Leave in a cool place for 15 minutes before rolling out.
*Tip-it’s important that you handle the pastry as little as possible as over working/handling will make the pastry tough and heavy.